Breeding for Health and Temperament
My name is Jane Edna Riley [Murphy]and welcome to my Argentcymru Standard Poodles Website.
Argentcymru standard poodles is the home of health tested, confident, socialised family companions, that live alongside myself, my partner Roger ( a lawyer) and my three sons, Bobby, Billy and Joel, our black lab Roxy, our goldendoodle Sandy and our labradoodle Missy and YES...WE LOVE CROSS BREEDS TOO.
WE DO NOT HAVE KENNELS, our beloved companions live in the home and come to bed with us at night...it can be a case of "hop, skip and jump" whilst trying to negotiate the night time en-suite...but it is the way we like to live and would not have it any other way.
We pride ourselves and with such wonderful standard poodles, that not only have wonderful temperaments and sweet personalities, but have calm, but playful dispositions, which is passed down to their offspring.
I first fell in love with my first standard poodle in February 2009 ..purely by accident! I fell in love with the whole package, their looks, their temperament and personality and their zest for life. My heart was lost to this beautiful breed. Certainly the standard poodle not just looks amazing in the show ring, but excels in agility and in some cases working. Argentcymru standard poodles enjoy their life, they are fit and healthy and have a good balanced diet. In fact, the only time we have had to visit the vets was for the health testing and check ups. I am very proud of my standard poodles...
As you will see whilst browsing through my website, Argentcymru Standard Poodles love being outdoors, in all weather, all year round. They are active dogs and like to chase after the ball, or Frisbee or anything else they can retrieve. This is one of their many appealing traits. The Standard Poodle is by no means a couch potato. Poodles are retrievers or gun dogs and are still used in that role today, hence their love of retrieving the ball. They are thinking dogs who learn quickly. This intelligent breed cannot be ignored and left to be just content to use their back garden or lead walked. They thrive on agility, obedience and hide and seek games.
The poodle has a coat that need maintaining and needs regular 4- 6 weeks full grooming and daily brushing. I groom all my dogs. Their coats vary in texture and some are easier than others...but all have to be cared for and if you cannot learn to do basic grooming yourself, then be prepared to take a trip to the groomers every 4- 6 weeks which can be a costly business. Most, if not all, of our standards are cut short. This is merely down to practical considerations and the way in which we exercise our dogs. However, I do admire the poodles in their long coats. Alot of people have a misconception regarding a poodle because of the "show coat" often thinking of them as "ponsie" dogs...oh, please do not let the coat fool you. A standard poodle is everything and more you can expect from a four legged companion, excelling in obedience, agility, working and best of all a loving loyal friend...a friend for life.
We do not re-home our dogs after breeding. First and foremost our dogs are our beloved family companions.
When the girls have finished their breeding program, they are spayed. The male dogs castrated. We do not re-home...
At argentcymru we ensure
Ensure that all breeding stock is Kennel Club registered
- Hand over the dog's registration certificate at time of sale if available, or forward it to the new owner as soon as possible
- Explain any endorsements that might pertain and obtain written and signed confirmation from the new owner, at or before the date on which the dog is physically transferred, that the new owner is aware of the endorsement(s), regardless of whether or not the endorsed registration certificate is available
- Follow Kennel Club policy regarding maximum age and number/frequency of litters
- Permanently identify breeding stock by DNA profile, microchip, or tattoo
- Make use of health screening schemes, relevant to their breed, on all breeding stock. These schemes include DNA testing, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and inherited eye conditions
- Socialize the puppies and provide written advice, in the Puppy Sales Wallet, on continuation of socialisation, exercise and future training
- Provide written advice, in the scheme Puppy Sales Wallet, on feeding and worming programmes
- Provide a written record, in the Puppy Sales Wallet, on the immunization measures taken
- Provide reasonable post-sales telephone advice
- Inform buyers of the requirements and the recommendations that apply to Kennel Club Assured Breeders as well as the existence of the complaints procedure
- Draw up a contract of sale (see below link) for each puppy and provide a copy in the Puppy Sales Wallet
- Provide a list of breed specific traits and tendencies or any further breed specific advice or information that may enhance the puppy buyers understanding of the breed they are buying
Blucher and me
lilly and lucia
Newport Transporter Bridge in the Background......
I have a Facebook page, Argentcymru Have Standards, that gives upto date information, help and advise to all new puppy owners, this page has been up and running for the past few years , so an invaluable page and community to be a part of.